02 October 2012

A Message from the Admin: Philippine Cybercrime Prevention Act 10175

Hi guys! Mei again, your resident cosplay fanatic!

You’ve all probably heard of the new cybercrime prevention act in my country, the Philippines, and to be honest, I myself don’t really understand everything about it as of yet. However, with the law being unclear with regards to what would be considered “libel”, I don’t think I’ll be posting any new entries for a while.

You see, if I were to mistakenly write something or post something that’s considered “malicious”, whether it be towards the government or even a Filipino cosplayer/photographer, it could land me in jail for 12 years. Twelve Years. Just for blogging about cosplay.

Some of you have considered this blog to be very “malicious” for “stealing photos that aren’t yours” and “adding a link to the photos that aren’t yours”, even though I’ve tried to explain why I do what I do, and that you can request to change anything through comments or a simple email. Well, in less that 10 minutes, you can start suing me thanks to the new law, for anything I post on October 3, 2012 and onwards.

A little extreme? Maybe so, but unfortunately(?), 12 years is a chance I’m not willing to take.

And so, until my beloved country becomes a little clearer with what falls under “libel”? I think it’s time for Cosplay Holic to rest (until I manage to immigrate to another country that is!)

I hope to see you all again soon! ☆ミ(o*・ω・)ノ

Lots of Love,
Mei~

7 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear that mei-chan :(

    but i also understand youre motivation, take a good rest from cosplay holic but plz dont let it die ! For here is at least one faithfull fan that will be checking everyday

    Ganbaru mei-chan !

    and also lots of love !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think PNP or NBI should even entertain a case like complaining against a blog for sharing (and I say sharing because you're one of very FEW bloggers who actually link your source) their photo, because for cryin' out loud, there are OTHER things they should be focusing on, like poverty, corruption, and oh, maybe the flooding in the areas?

    But the law is the law, and it looks like you might be right about it, Mei. You can get in trouble for blogging from the looks of it. And I'll leave myself as an anon just in case they want to throw me in jail for this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i personally cannot believe the foundations this huge new law is made with, so vague and so easy to misuse!
    as a fellow Filipino i really hope this law gets some thorough scrutiny and let the people who share properly not get any of the bad implications like the law suggests. not everyone is stealing, or cyber-bullying or whatever they call it right now.

    I'll always be checking in~ hopefully you'll be back to cosplay blogging again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a real shame to hear. Better to be safe than sorry though, so while I'm a little sad that there won't be any new posts as of this moment, I wholly support your decision. Hopefully, me and fans of your blog will be able to see some new entries in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, from what I've been reading up so far, it would appear as if the law applies to anything that was posted even before the law was made in the first place. (What in the world?)

    It looks like I'm considered to be a "cybercriminal" as it is, even if I did stop blogging. The best option is to delete this blog entirely. (Are they crazy?!)

    Looks like I'm coming back after all. xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. okairinasai ! mei-chan,
    So, tell me.. how does it feel to be an cyber criminal ? xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I don't know actually, haha! I still feel like I'm me, but with a new shiny label. xD

    ReplyDelete